Why eat traditional foods? The most critical reason is for health, as traditional foods by their very nature contain the highest levels of nutrition available. Another reason is for taste. Traditional foods are full of flavor, texture, and aroma. Eating traditional foods supports smaller family farms and food-producing operations. When you eat traditional foods, you are also helping the environment by using your dollars to support sustainable methods of food production.
What are the benefits of consuming traditional foods? There are many, but some of the most important ones are maintaining better health and avoiding allergies. Those who consume traditional foods have less allergies and intolerances to foods; they also have less issues with digestive and cardiovascular health and weight.
What types of foods are traditional foods? The following is a list of some traditional foods:
- Sustainably-raised, grass-fed animal meats and poultry or game birds such as beef, lamb, venison, rabbit, pork, elk, chicken, turkey, cornish game hens
- Sustainably-raised, organic eggs
- Safe, wild-caught, deep sea fish and some seafoods
- Organ meats produced from healthy, grass-fed animals and birds
- Organic or sustainably-produced whole fruits and vegetables
- Organic, whole, sprouted grains and legumes
- Raw, sustainbly-produced dairy including milk, cheese, cream, butter, kefir, and yogurt
- Raw nuts from sustainable sources